published on in Latest

Isa Battaglin, Founder of LillyK Photography

Isa Battaglin is a nationally renowned headshot photographer who captures the intensity of her subject’s eyes to reflect their aura within. She is a professional international portrait and fashion photographer who runs LillyK Photography based in Los Angeles, California. When she isn’t creating lasting magic behind the lens, Isabelle enjoys spending time with her husband and three kids at home. 

Can you tell us a story about what brought you to this specific career path?

It was a little bit by “accident” I did newborn and family photography and because my daughter signed with a kids’ agency. I ended up doing her headshots, the agency loved them; next thing I know I was doing headshots full time.

Can you share the most interesting story that happened to you since you started your company?

It’s hard to pick, because there are so many interesting stories. I feel like the most interesting and positive thing was finding myself traveling the world doing what I love the most.  I am incredibly grateful for a career that allows me to see the world while still having enough control of my schedule. It is amazing how social media makes the world so small!

Can you share a story about the funniest mistake you made when you were first starting? Can you tell us what lesson you learned from that?

I didn’t know a lot about the lingo.  I would be completely lost when people were talking or asking me about things in the industry. I had no idea what they were saying!  Secretly, I would google the words and reply as if I had known that forever – we all learn as we go. Nothing better than experience in some cases :

What do you think makes your company stand out? Can you share a story?

I believe it is the consistency of my work. A client knows what level of service and quality they will receive when booking with me. It took us years, but we managed to organize things in a way where all clients get contracts, know exactly the number of images they will receive, and how the final edits will look like.  It is definitely a matter of organization, consistency and communication. Delivering a creative and high-quality product will always work.

Related Article : Interview with Mohit Soni, Film Producer from Los Angeles

Which tips would you recommend to your colleagues in your industry to help them to thrive and not “burn out”?

Try to understand the business side of photography. It is not just a camera – it’s so much more.  Stop the “shooting for free” type of thing. Many photographers do that as a form of marketing.  However, the more you do that, the more people will ask for free images. You are worth the price tag, do not work for free. It’s your work and your talent. Lastly, to have your own style, to not be afraid to be different, to not compare yourself with others. Do your thing.

None of us are able to achieve success without some help along the way. Is there a particular person who you are grateful towards who helped get you to where you are? Can you share a story?

Honestly, my family – They are here for me at ALL times and we grew so much together.  I could not have done this without them.

Do you have a favorite “Life Lesson Quote”? Can you share a story of how that was relevant to you in your life?

“Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.”

The more successful you are, the more people talk.   Some will try to make you look bad by speaking poorly of you. It hurt me a lot in the beginning.  I learned that I cannot control what people say or think.  All I can control is to keep doing what I do best and focus on my work.  My success will speak for itself. I keep my life very private because my work and my private life are two very different things and I prefer to keep it that way.

What are your “5 things I wish someone told me before I started my company” and why? Please share a story or example for each.

Don’t be afraid to show who you are as an artist

Don’t worry about other people’s opinion on your work

Don’t do free work, charge for your time

Don’t mix business with friendship – It won’t work

Careful with your words – Customer service is essential, however, always think before you reply to an email or to try and resolve a problem. Do not promise what you cannot deliver.

You are a person of great influence. If you could start a movement that would bring the most amount of good to the most amount of people, what would that be? You never know what your idea can trigger.

Gender Equality – You should be free to be who you are, no judgment from others, no labels – Be yourself and be kind to others – Live your life the way you want and let others live theirs!

ncG1vNJzZmivp6x7t7XZmpqaZpOkunC10ppkm5mkqa6ouMinZJ%2BnpaOxpr6MqJ1mpJmhubq3jKmfqKyfnL%2BivMeyZg%3D%3D